Indian Shepherd's Pie

IMG 1912

I made this Indian inspired Shepherd's Pie recently from a recipe torn from a magazine (Delicious, I think). I didn't have all the ingredients to hand so I did a bastardised version and it turned out to be the Best. Thing. Ever.

I think I'm going to make it again this week. It's like an Indian takeaway, but not. So good for this weather.

Indian Shepherd's Pie

Ingredients

Olive oil
650g lamb mince
1 onion, chopped
2cm ginger, grated
2tbs korma curry paste
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1/4 cup chutney (Mine was called 'bush' chutney and was quite sweet. I'd say, use whatever's open in your fridge)
1 cup frozen peas
1kg mixed potatoes and sweet potatoes
2 tsp tumeric
1 lemon
30g butter

1. Preheat oven to 200c.

2. Heat oil and cook lamb mince until brown. Remove mince from the pan and set aside.

3. Cook onion until soft, then add garlic, ginger and curry paste and cook, stirring until fragrant.

4. Return mince to the pan with tinned tomatoes and chutney. Bring to a simmer and cook on a low heat for 15 minutes.

5. Stir in frozen peas and transfer mixture to baking dish.

6. Meanwhile, boil peeled, chopped sweet potatoes and potatoes until soft and mash. Add turmeric, lemon juice and butter to mash and beat with a spoon until smooth.

7. Spread mash over mince mixture and bake in over for 25 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment